[microsound-announce] Call for Work - Vague Terrain 12: Device Art

Neil Wiernik neil.wiernik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:37:23 EST 2008

Vague Terrain 12: Device Art - Call for Work

Call Extended! See details below:

In our daily lives, we are surrounded by electronic or electro-mechanical
devices used as conduits to deliver "content" ranging from televised operas
to hip-hop ring-tones. Only rarely are the devices themselves considered to
be the content. The tradition of high-tech devices as art, however, dates
back to ancient machines known only from legends, through the golden ages of
clockwork automata, through modern kinetic sculpture, up to the present
time, when students in art colleges take courses in microcontroller
programming and robotics.

Vague Terrain 12 is about the machine as art in the 21st century, with the
understanding that "machine" is no longer strictly defined as "mechanical
device". We are interested in devices created as art objects, as platforms
for art or performance, devices as unique objects, and mass produced
devices, produced either as art multiples, or as tools for artistic
pursuits.

We are seeking submissions in all formats- audio, video, photographic
documentation, and text. Submissions can be documentation of work, or can
deal with artistic or creative practice with respect to device art.
If you are interested in submitting work to be considered for inclusion in
Vague Terrain 12: Device Art please contact guest curator Rob Cruickshank
through his Vague Terrain user profile.

Additional Information

Format:
-please see http://vagueterrain.net/content/journal/submission-guidelinesfor
full submission guidelines. Please consult this document as it is very
important to read when considering the scope and deliverables of a
submission.

Submission Deadline:
The submission deadline for Vague Terrain 12: Device Art is Sunday December
7th (this has been extended). Our tentative publication date is January 1st.

Curator Information:
Rob Cruickshank is a Toronto-based multidisciplinary artist. His work in
various media including electronic, kinetic, and robotic installations,
sound art, electroacoustic music, and photography have been exhibited in
Toronto, and internationally. Much of his work is associated with
InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre in Toronto, where he has developed
a number of hands-on workshops for artists using electronics., and is
currently a member of the Board of Directors. His work combines a knowledge
of physical computing with an ongoing fascination with sound, light, and
motion. It is as much informed by the kinetic art of the early 20th century
as it is by contemporary new media art. Works such as Spiral Inscriber
(2005) combine microcontrollers with intricate electromechanical systems,
reminiscent of early clockwork and mechanical devices, and reflect his
interest in obsolete technologies. Many of these works are collaborative in
nature, and he has been part of several long-term collaborative projects at
Interaccess, such as Space Probe (1998), SenseBus (1999), Art Interface
Device (2001), as well as being a member of I/O media, a collective of sound
and video artists exploring real-time improvised performance.