[Microsound-announce] Handmade Electronic Music (Collins) -- Call for Submissions

CEC jef chippewa jef at econtact.ca
Sat Jun 21 09:00:21 EDT 2008

Handmade Electronic Music
Nicolas Collins

Call for Submissions

I am currently preparing an updated and expanded
edition of my 2006 book, Handmade Electronic
Music - The Art Of Hardware Hacking.  The DVD
accompanying the book will include a "gallery" of
hacking projects from around the world. For this
section I am soliciting documentation of Hacked
and Bent instruments and art projects.  I welcome
your submission of material for consideration.
Please observe the following guidelines and
technical standards:

FORMAT FOR SUBMISSIONS OF VIDEO CLIPS
- Continuous video, with synched-sound
soundtrack; or a "Slide Show" in video format,
sequencing still images (photos, drawings,
schematics, etc.), with a soundtrack
demonstrating typical sounds of the device.
- The clip can be no longer than 1 minute (60
seconds) in duration; shorter clips are
encouraged.
- The soundtrack can be mono or stereo.
- Insert a credit screen at the head of the video, listing:
    . your name;
    . the title of the instrument/object/project;
    . any brief descriptive notes you wish to
include (for example, "CMOS oscillator using dead
batteries in place of capacitors");
    . your web site and/or contact information (optional).
- You may submit documentation of several
projects, but each one must be represented by an
individual video clip of less than 1 minute in
duration.
- Please do not submit un-edited video, video
clips longer than 60 seconds, video clips with no
title screen, video with no soundtrack, or audio
files without a video component.

DATA SPECIFICATION
- DV/DVCPRO
- NTSC preferred
- Best Quality
- Interlaced
- 720 x 480 (640 x 480)
- Quicktime file on a data DVD is the preferred
media; standard video DVD if there is no other
option.

NON-VIDEO MATERIAL
- You may also submit TIFF or JPEG files of
photographs or schematics for consideration for
inclusion in the printed book.  These can be
color or black and white, 300 dpi minimum
resolution.  You may include the files on the
same DVD used for your video clips, in a folder
labeled "Additional Images" or something similar.
- You may submit additional AIFF or MP3 files of
performances with your instruments; I cannot make
use of these in the published book, but would
welcome them as musical examples for use in
lectures and workshops.

Please send the DVD to:
      Nicolas Collins -- Handmade Electronic Music Project
      Department of Sound
      The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
      112 South Michigan Avenue
      Chicago, IL 60603
      USA

For customs purposes indicate that the package
contains a data DVD of no commercial value. Pack
it well to avoid damage in shipping. Keep a copy
yourself in case the package is lost or damaged.

Email me when you have posted the DVD, so I know
to expect it.  Include in this email your postal
address.

TERMS OF USAGE
I cannot guarantee that your submission will be
used until I view it - I am trying to represent a
diverse range of projects, and this will affect
my selection.  If your submission is accepted you
will receive a simple letter of agreement
authorizing us to use your work, for you to sign
and return.  You must be able to state that you
own and control rights to the material you have
submitted (we will ask permission to publish your
submission "non-exclusively", so that you will be
able to use it freely as well).

DEADLINE:
PLEASE MAKE SURE THE DVD REACHES ME BY JULY 18, 2008.

QUESTIONS
If you have any questions please email me: ncollins at saic.edu.

--

Communauté électroacoustique canadienne (CEC)
Canadian Electroacoustic Community