[Microsound-announce] NEWS GREGORY BUTTNER

gregory buettner gregorybuettner at gmx.de
Tue Feb 19 09:30:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I have some news:

1. one track of me is selected for the Madrid Abierto Competion 2008
2. Walze 1-8, cd, firework editon records
3. nil.audio 3" cd-r, aic
4. contribution at GradCom mp3- release
5. live at "blurred edges"

---

1.
"Walze 1" (5:01 min) is selected for the sonorous art section of the Madrid
Abierto festival for public-art and artistical-interventions in 2008 and
will be broadcasted at of the programm of La ciudad invisible at Radio 3-RNE
(93.2/95.8 FM) 7-22 of February from 19:00 a 20:30 H.
the soundworks at Radio 3 these Tuesday 19th Gregory Buttner.
The frequency of Radio 3 is 93.2 FM for Madrid. Also, you can listen through
his web site, http://www.rtve.es/rne/r3 , click on “Escuchar Radio 3”. The
program starts at 19.00 h.
http://www.madridabierto.com/soundwork/2008
http://www.madridabierto.com

---

2.
New solo CD "Walze 1-8" will be released these days on firework editon
records.
For order mail to: leif.elggren-at-mbox300.swipnet.se

About the record:
"The source material of the compositions are historical recordings made on
wax cylinders (German: “Walze”) from the archive of the Ethnological Museum
in Berlin. The recordings were all made at the beginning of the last century
in different parts of the world. For each of my eight pieces I processed the
sounds and noises of one wax cylinder using a computer, sometimes modulating
them with sine waves (Walzen 3, 4 and 8), combining them to new
compositions.
I was interested in the interplay of recorded “memory”, imagination (who
sang/played what where and why?) and the disintegration of the information
by the material (background noise, technical faults, decay), the fading of
semiotic contexts and lastly in my electronic processing. My method was to
contrast and integrate the sound of the wax cylinders and the transported
audio content.
The recording and storing of immaterial “audio information” made me curious
and inspired me to work with the material. Like old photographs that slowly
fade, the “audio information” disappears or changes either by decay of the
medium or on the semiotic level by the ignorance of the listener who, the
older the material becomes, only can imagine how the person whose song or
music is played posthumously, thought or lived. In his essay “Die helle
Kammer” (English title: “Camera Lucida”) Roland Barthes describes the
paradox situation in the coincidence of past and present which takes place
when looking at old photos. A similar effect is achieved through the renewed
sounding of recorded voices from the past. Of course this holds true with
any recording, but is intensified by the old age of the wax cylinder
recordings, after all it is likely that all the people that created the
music are dead. The impression of times past is increased by technical
traces like crackling, rustling, etc. comparable to the changing of colors,
folds, scratches and spots on old photographs."
www.fireworkeditionrecords.com

---

3.
New solo 3"CDR "nil:.audio"
AICdisc009, limited to 75

"Quicktime movies, taken from various internet providers'
advertisement CDRoms, were used as source material
for the audiovisual work "nil".
The images as well as the sound tracks of those flics from
the late 1990s / early 2000s ( so, from medieval times
of digital technology ) have been compressed again and
again by Buettner, using different Codecs ­ followed by
some precise compositional arrangement.
"nil:.audio" documents the most prolific audio pieces
of the series ­ dense and idiosyncratic electroacoustics."
For order go to: http://www.0000-anti.info

---

4.
contribution at GradCom mp3- release "cuts + edits":
featuring 10 GradCom tracks, with guest appearances of Rhodri Davis, Koutaru
Fukui, Gregory Büttner and Jason Engling
Go to: http://www.gradcom.org

---

5. live at " blurred edges festival 2008"  24.4 in Hamburg:
Concert by für diesen abend [Stefan Funck & Gregory Büttner), with visuals
by Katrin Bethge, / also performance by Asmus Tietchens
SKAM / Hamburg / Germany
http://www.1000fussler.com/fda

---

All the best,