[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 03.02.08

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon Feb 4 13:41:43 EST 2008

/*framework*/ broadcasts sundays on *resonance104.4fm* in london (uk) or
worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 10-11pm gmt

next edtion: *10.02.08*
~ time zone converter: http://thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

*for general info, playlists, podcasts, or to stream the latest edition:
http://www.resonancefm.com/framework *
*framework is supported by /soundtransit/: http://www.soundtransit.nl *

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE
HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND
OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP K EEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR:
HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

/*framework*/ - phonography / field recording; contextual and
decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

this week's edition of */framework:afield/* was produced as a
collaboration between japanese sound artist *rie nakajima*, london-based
piano tuner *ken bodden*, and yours truly.  it is based on an
installation nakajima made using recordings of bodden at work - she
followed him to several jobs, made close up recordings of the tuning
process, and played the recordings back, one per speaker, simultaneously
in a single room.  the ensuing collage, far from cacophonous as one
would expect, follows a beautiful progression of harmonics and
crescendos, and creates surprising tonal patterns as bodden makes his
way through the scale.  when i heard the piece, i knew it needed to be
broadcast.  for the radio we took the project one step further,
conducting a series of interviews with bodden in which he describes in
detail the tuning process (much of which, to the uninitiated, is
difficultly understood, but fascinating in its complexity), his history
as a tuner, and his interest in nakajima's project, while nakajima
herself describes her conception of the piece, and her initial
fascination when she was made aware of the commonality of blind piano
tuners in the uk.  this is really a fascinating piece - if you don't
listen to the show regularly, here's a good place to start.

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw
field recordings, field recording based composition, or introduction
submissions.  we are also now accepting proposals for full editions of
our guest curated series.  send proposals or material, released or not,
on any format, to the address below.  if you have any questions, please
don't hesitate to get in touch!

framework
bp17
27910 perruel
france

framework at talk21.com

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and a recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST one minute before you -
3)    read aloud the following text:

*welcome to framework.*

*framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and its use in
composition.  field recording, phonography, the art of sound hunting;
open your ears and listen!*

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST two minutes after you have
finished speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the above address, or as an
mp3 via email

thanks!