[Microsound-announce] tovsky + takeda at IPR friday

Bruce Tovsky bruce at skeletonhome.com
Thu Sep 6 10:26:44 EDT 2007

hi everyone
apologies for cross-posting and multiples as usual...
a brief and last-minute (email down at home) announcement for a performance tomorrow night, part of the LAPLANDIA series this month at Issue. it's always a pleasure working with shimpei, and we always cook up with something worthwhile, so come on over to Issue's new temp home, it's a beautiful place!

LAPLANDIA

Friday, September 7th
mitchell akiyama + bruce tovsky and shimpei takeda

Toronto born, Montreal based Mitchell Akiyama has carved a niche for himself as one of Canada's premier avant-garde electronic musicians. He incorporates traditional instruments and real world sound sources in his compositions, fusing the organic and the digital. The results can be beautiful and lush, jarring and abrasive, but are, above all, always moving. 'Hope that lines don't cross' on Alien8 Recordings', sub label Substractif, was lauded by critics and became a staple on college/alternative radio charts in North America and Europe. He has also recently finished a collaborative album with Cincinnati based Joshua Treble. The project, 'Desormais', is rooted in experimental, noisy terrain but is full of jagged beauty. In addition, Akiyama's new solo album, 'Temporary music,' will be released early this year on prestigious German label Raster-Noton. The record is a collection of fragments - shards of pianos, pieces of field records, and digital interruptions. Akiyama has played extensively in Europe and North America at festivals such as Sonar and Mutek alongside the likes of Oval, Francisco Lopez,

Bruce Tovsky is a visual/sound artist, who began painting at the age of 7 and started playing with tape recorders at the age of 10. Ever since then he has been figuring out ways of putting sound and pictures together. For the past several years, he has been creating live video and sound improvisations with artists such as John Hudak, David Linton and Kim Cascone at spaces such as Diapason, Experimental Intermedia, Issue Project Room and his own installation space 106BLDG30

Shimpei Takeda (b.1982), is an artist working with photography, video, and improvisational performance. Originally from Japan, Takeda currently lives and works in New York City. Primarily self-taught, Takeda began shooting pictures at the age of 18. Later on, he expanded his unique vision and sensitivity to the other mediums . He experiments with the aesthetic, optical and poetic possibilities between abstraction and concreteness.

His work has been presented at the Essl Collection of Contemporary Art, Austin Museum of Art, Weisman Art Museum, Schenectady Museum & Suits-bueche Planetarium, and throughout New York City venues including: Issue Project Room, the Tank, and Experimental Intermedia.

ISSUE Project Room
232 Third Street - Brooklyn, NY  11215
www.issueprojectroom.org

Telephone
718-330-0313

Inquires/Mailing List
info at issueprojectroom.org

DIRECTIONS
MASS TRANSIT

F and G trains   to CARROLL ST-SMITH ST stop
Walk East down Third St over Gowanus Canal to Third Av = 5 min walk

 F, M AND R trains   to NINTH ST-FOURTH AVE stop
Walk North on Fourth Av. West on Third St to Third Av = 5 min walk

DRIVING

>>    From Manhattan Bridge  = 5-10 min drive
Proceed straight on to Flatbush Ave. Right on Third Ave (just after Fulton-Nevins Sts) to Third St.

>>    From Brooklyn Bridge  = 5-10 min drive
Proceed straight on to Adams St. Left on Atlantic Ave. Right on Third Ave to Third St.

>>    From Battery Tunnel (Right lane toll booth)  = 3-5 min drive
Take first exit (just after toll) on to Hamilton Ave. Left on Smith St. Right on Third St to Third Ave.

>>    From BQE (278) West  = 5-10 min drive
Exit on Tillary St. Left on Flatbush Ave. Right on Third Ave to Third St.

>>    From Gowanus Expwy (278) East = 5-10 min drive
Exit at 39 St. First left on Fourth Ave. Left on Third St to Third Ave.

>>    From Prospect Expwy (27) North = 3-5 min drive
Exit at Fourth Ave. Right on Fourth Ave. Left on Third St to Third Ave.