[Microsound-announce] naw news

Neil Wiernik neil at phoniq.net
Tue May 29 19:42:33 EDT 2007

Its been a a while since I have sent out a news letter in fact Its been a very
long time I think. A lot of things has happened in the mean time.
I have recently in the last few months put out 3 new releases.
2 for noise factory records: a full length cd titled city saturate, and a 12
inch ep titled the binary route ep. you can find out more information about the
release and where to purchese it on www.noisefactoryrecords.com
The 3rd release has just recently come available on the digital label sentient
sound and can be downloaded at http://www.groovegate.com/label/Sentient+Sound
You can find out more information about the release on the labels website:
www.sentientsound.net (see below for reviews of releases on both labels)

In the department of naw live shows well for the next little while they will be
few and far between (I will explain why later on in this message)
Back in Feb of this year I was invited to participate in an online project
which was a collaberation between the mutek music festival in Montreal, Radio
Canada (the french language version of CBC) and 36 participating artists
accross canada. The project was and is called cafe eletronika where radio
canada and mutek festival has invited artists from accross canada to perform
live via a high speed internet connection to one of the many stages during the
first 3 days of the festival. I have been asked to perform a 40 min live set
from my studio for the project on May 31st starting at 138pm (give or take a
few moments) if your at the festival in Montreal you can drop by the hotel
godin and hear the live stream in the lounge area of the hotel and if your some
place else in canada at the time just hop on to the internet and go to:
http://www.bandeapart.fm
to catch thhe performance live. It will also be archived on the radio canada,
bandeapart website for one full yeah and enjoy repeat broadcasts on other cbc
and affliate station in europe and on satellite radio networks like sirius.
There might be some other naw live shows over the next 6 to 8 months but they
will be few and far between and unfortunatly only local shows.
There is plans for a naw tour both in north america and europe but not the
first part of next year at the earliest.

now I bet your asking why is naw playing so few shows and is not touring untill
early next year, or why has naw not been updating his website recently, etc
etc... well unfortunatly after dealing with some health issues over the last
year, in march I was diagnosed with having stage IIIb hodgkin's lymphoma. I
began treatment for my cancer in may 2007 and will continue my treatment for a
total of 6 to 8 months. I wont bore you all with a sob story but if your
interested in follwing my progress you can so via a photoblog I have set up
www.neilsnodes.blogspot.com to document my progress though my battle with
cancer. Dont worry I plan to make a full recovery and be declared cured by the
end of it all and be back out playing regular shows as I was before all this
began.

in the mean time thanks for all you continued support of my music and I hope
you enjoy some of the new music I have recently released and some of the up
comming material that will come out over the next 10 months or so.

Thanks again and take care, reviews of the recent releases can be found below.

neil
aka naw
www.phoniq.net

from:
the montreal mirror
www.montrealmirror.com/2007/041907/disc.html
NAW
City Saturate (Noise Factory)
Former Montrealer Neil Wiernik, now a Torontonian, continues his excursions
into dub techno with his latest release. In fact, he
goes beyond the echo-chambered minimal house of his previous efforts under the
naw moniker, confidently dropping the plodding rhythmic template and exploring
more deeply the possibilities of tone and texture. What certainly does carry
over, however, is his perfect evocation of that transitional time of
half-light, both comforting and alienating, that blooms briefly at dawn each
day
thats where and when he seems happiest. 7.5/10 (Rupert Bottenberg)

from:
XLR8R magazine, singles of the week colum
www.xlr8r.com/topstories/2007/05/this_week_in_singles.php
Fans of Basic Channel and Plus 8 should definitely check out the recent output
of Sentient Sound. Its latest release, NAWs Cracked Lines and Broken Signals
EP, sums up the labels subtle techno modus operandi.
Gentle melodies, rubbery bass, and echoed keys penetrate four solid tunes. NAW
is the work of Canadian ex-pat Neil Wiernik. Also recommended, Sentient singles
catalog number eight and seven from Myers Briggs and Roberto Bardini,
respectively. (note I still live and Canada and always will:)

for a recent interview check out
www.djfix.com/interviews/show/93/NAW