[Microsound-announce] Support Issue Project Room!

Bruce Tovsky bruce at skeletonhome.com
Mon Jul 16 12:54:03 EDT 2007

Hi everyone
Excuses to those who will have received this already, but I thought it important enough to repeat. Issue Project Room has been my favorite place to perform and see new music for several years now, and the innovative programming presented by director Suzanne Fiol is beginning to draw larger and larger audiences. In the midst of this growth Issue is confronted with finding a new home and needs our help. I hope that you can take a minute and read this and give a little to help them during this difficult transition.
Best
Bruce Tovsky

Forwarded from Suzanne Fiol:

I am writing to you today  to ask your help in  establishing a permanent home for ISSUE Project Room. In its brief history, ISSUE Project Room, has become one of the most  respected art and performance spaces in New York City. Programs like Theremin Society,  Points in a Circle, The Independents, and Littoral, have earned us a reputation of presenting new and artistically challenging work. Our programming is our greatest strength.

After two years of performances in its silo on the Gowanus Canal, ISSUE is ready to move  to larger, centrally-located permanent home.To successfully undertake such a move, ISSUE's board has recently  announced a $350,000 capital campaign.,

I am asking for your support!  I want to stress the urgency of my request, with the hope that you will write  a check or make  an online donation as soon as you receive this letter. The urgency stems from a unique and wonderful opportunity for ISSUE to move into a new, rent  free space in one of the most beautiful buildings in downtown Brooklyn.  ISSUE is one of two finalists for this architecturally significant  property, but it must demonstrate the financial capability to develop the space if it is to secure the lease.

To meet  this goal we are raising money by several means: donor
solicitations, grant requests and fundraising benefits, To kick off the campaign, there will be a drive to meet a generous $25,000 matching grant made by an anonymous donor.

In support of this opportunity to secure the best possible  space  for experimental performance in Brooklyn, this  donor has made a $25,000, one -for- two matching grant to be met by August 1st. For every dollar we raise, up to $50,000, between now and August 1st, ISSUE Project Room will receive 50 cents.  If we raise $50,000 by August 1st, ISSUE will get the entire $25,000 match.  Following announcement of the match last week, ISSUE has already received $10,000. My goal is to raise another $25,000 this coming week.

ISSUE will be meeting with the property's developers on July 24th.
It is crucial to our success that we have this money in hand in time for this meeting. Nothing could better help ISSUE in making its case to the property's developers than to be able to walk into the meeting saying we have met the match!  Successfully closing this first phase of the campaign before the deadline will inspire large  donors, corporations and foundations.

I know  you understand the importance of helping places like ISSUE Project Room,  one of the few vibrant spaces supporting experimental performance.  I am particularly appealing to you because you are our artistic community. It's especially important that the many and varied artists who have participated in helping to make ISSUE the outstanding place that it is show their support at this time. If every artist who has performed over the last 4 years gives  just $25 we will raise over $15,000. Write a check for whatever you can as soon as you receive this e-mail.  Every bit  helps, and we want ISSUE's new home to be a place infused with the love and energy of many supporters, whatever their financial capability.

I'd also like you to call five friends, send them copies of this letter, and ask them to support ISSUE as generously  as you have.   If you or your  friends would  like to know   more  about ISSUE, I'm happy to speak with you. You can contact me at 718-812-1129.
What would New York City be without experimental art?   I'd rather not think about it!  So, please become an ISSUE donor, and  help us meet our match today.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Fiol
Founder and Artistic Director

Here's how to give:

ISSUE Project Room is under the fiscal sponsorship of the New York
Foundation for the Arts (NYFA),
and all donations are tax deductible.

THE ON-LINE DONATION SHOULD PROVIDE A LIVE LINK, SO DONORS CAN
CLICK RIGHT FROM THE E-MAIL.

To make a donation on line, go to http://www.nyfa.org and click "For
Donors."
Make sure to earmark your donation for the Issue Project Room.

To make a donation by check, please make your check payable to the
New York Foundation for the Arts . Write ISSUE Project Room in the
memo line,
and mail your check to: ISSUE Project Room 232 Third Street Bklyn N.Y. 11215