[Microsound-announce] Symbiosis Playlist - 10th January 2007 (JP Shilo)

Simon Hampson mlist at symbiosis.com.au
Tue Jan 16 15:28:28 EST 2007

Symbiosis
Wednesday 10pm - 12am
Melbourne, Australia
102.7 FM Triple R

Streaming live online at: http://www.rrr.org.au/
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/symbiosisradio
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/coishii

with Simon Hampson

A journey through experimental sound textures and rhythms.

Headphones recommended.

I am always looking for new sounds. Drop me an email or give me a call on
the show - I would love to hear from you.

Email: simon at symbiosis.com.au

--
Monday 15th January, 2007

Hi folks,

The start of 2007 is shaping up to be a busy one - hope you¹re doing well.

This week on Symbiosis:

17th January, 2007: Two live performances from the studio this week - both
by interstate artists.

In the first hour, Matt Rosner is a Western Australian sound artist who is
in town to release his new record, 'Morning Tones', on the Apestaartje
label.

In the second hour, Shoeb Ahmad hails from the ACT and creates an enchanting
guitar-based ambience.

Matt Rosner: www.pablodali.net
Shoeb Ahmad: www.myspace.com/shoebahmad

A few live shows this week:

My good friend Matt Rösner (WA) contacted me late last year. He sent the
wonderful news about he had a new record, 'Morning Tones', out on the great
label Apestaartje. So we decided to plan some shows in Melbourne to
celebrateŠ

Symbiosis Listening Focus .03 @ Westspace Gallery
Saturday 20th January // 4pm - 7pm // $7 @ the door
Matt Rosner, Joe Talia & Simon Hampson

Matt Rosner @ East Brunswick Club
w/ Robin Fox & Shoeb Ahmad
Sunday 21st January // Doors @ 8pm // $8 @ the door

I am also playing this Thursday night at 'Drawing Of Sound', a showcase of
guitar-based acts. Zac Keiller from Dreamland Recordings organised the show
and we are opening the show as Umbra. Hope to see you thereŠ

Drawing Of Sound @ East Brunswick Club
w/ Umbra,
Thursday 18th January // Doors @ 8pm // $12 @ the door

Coming up: The Idealist, Robert Horton, Esa Ruoho (Lackluster), Aidan Baker,
Aaron Ximm, RF

Ciao,

Simon.

--

Symbiosis Playlist - 10th January 2007

JP Shilo joined me this week to talk about his new album on Smells Like
Records, "As Happy As Sad Is Blue".

JP Shilo: http://www.myspace.com/jpshilo
Smells Like Records:
http://smellslikerecords.com/jpshilo/?artist=JP%20Shilo#releases

You can catch JP Shilo, around Melbourne:

The official launch for "As Happy as Sad is Blue"
Wednesday 17th January @ Manchester Lane
with support from the Dumb Earth
8pm // $10 at the door or $25 with a CD

And

Saturday 20th January @ The East Brunswick Club
with Because of Ghosts & Ned Collette

--

Artist :: Track :: Album/Link :: Label (if applicable)

Kowalsky & Ljudbilden :: (excerpt) :: Ljudsky :: Nosordo

Punck :: passaggi, percorsi, aperture :: A Constant Migration (between
reality and fiction) :: CD Creative Sources Recordings

teleferick :: wijfel :: tumble :: http://www.last.fm/music/teleferick

JP Shilo :: earth-sinking-into-water :: As Happy As Sad Is Blue :: Smells
Like Records

Interview with JP Shilo

JP Shilo :: water-sinking-into-fire :: As Happy As Sad Is Blue :: Smells
Like Records

Interview with JP Shilo (cont.)

JP Shilo :: 11 fireflies :: As Happy As Sad Is Blue :: Smells Like Records

Lori Beckstead & Dave Rose :: harbourstorm ::  Winanga-li Australian
Soundscapes :: Wandering Ear **

Some Water And Sun :: snowbreaker (dabrye remix) :: History Is Bunk Part 1
:: Hefty Records

Dale Lloyd :: among the many :: Isolation v/a :: Room40

Curt Olson :: the empire builder :: Field Recording ::
cro at trackseventeen.com

The Empire Builder, a daily passenger train between Chicago and Seattle,
approaches the Amtrack
station in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota late on the evening of September
18, 2006. I like the interesting mechanical sound at about :20 seconds into
this clip. This recording was made with a pair of Crown GLM-100E mics
mounted on opposite sides of a small cellphone case and attached to a laptop
computer shoulder bag. Recorder is a Sony MZ-M100 Hi-MD recorder...

Matt Rösner :: dissolve :: Morning Tones :: Apestaartje

Archive :: (excerpt) :: Silent Night (Shepherds Quake) :: Dark Winter **

Ben Owen :: 3 :: Radio In :: Winds Measure Recordings

John Hudak :: walk in the winter field :: Links Outta Here :: Generator
Sound Archive

Pjusk :: spor 2 :: Blueprints :: 12k

Stephen Vitiello :: something on my back :: Isolation v/a :: Room40

Aidan Baker :: slow thought :: Still My Beating Heart Beats :: Pertin-nce **

Mattin/Dion Workman :: (excerpt) :: Via Vespucci :: Antifrost

Sao Paulo Underground :: numa grana :: Sauna: Um, Dois, Três :: Aesthetics

Maddest Kings Alive :: dance dance revolutionary :: Ill Windmill Hill ::
ninjaspew at gmail.com

Niall Munnelly :: trainsongs :: Field Recording :: aleph at aleph-null.net

I lived for some months across the street from six parallel train tracks -
CTA, Chicago Metra and the Conrail interstate lines, each with a distinctive
sound: the CTA train's "12,1234, 1234, 12" cadence as it passes by a switch
{or
something}, the steady, TIE fighter roar of Metra train and my favorite, the
long, slow-moving freight trains. These trains would grind to slow,
screeching halts a few times a day, and, an hour or so later, resume their
journeys with Penderecki-esque groans, creaks and wails. There was always
traffic on the street below, so I could never get a clean recording, but I
think you'll see what I mean. These were recorded with Sonic Studios DMS6-EH
microphones and a Sony Hi-MD MZ-RH1.

Dax Pierson & Robert Horton :: winterworld dub :: Pablo Feldman Sun Riley ::
Nosordo

Shoeb Ahmad :: sliding into rivers :: Dutch Housing :: myspace.com/

Net Labels
(** signifies that the track is from a net label)

Wandering Ear: www.wanderingear.com
Dark Winter: www.darkwinter.com
Pertin-nce: www.pertin-nce.com