[Microsound-announce] Rivers of Recordings announcement

Neil Wiernik neil at phoniq.net
Thu Jan 11 15:04:21 EST 2007

Today we would like to inform you of our latest release!

RIVER003

artist : naw (aka neil Wiernik)

title : terrain vague

track number. "title" [time] :
01. "4 by 6" [06:38]
02. "glass bell bottom pipeline" [05:20]
03. "birch bark ceiling wax" [06:03]
04. "90 degree decent" [08:55]
05. "sprawl" [05:58]
06. "seismic side walk activity" [07:39]
07. "birch bark (tomas jirku remix)" [11:28]

audio : download the "album sampler mega-mix" [11:54] for a preview of the
album at
http://www.riversof.com/RIVER003_album_sampler_mega-mix.mp3

info : Rivers of Recordings is proud to announce the release of the label's
first album, an album rather appropriately from Neil Wiernik. Neil and Tomas
Jirku first met in Toronto nearly seven years ago when they performed on the
same bill at what was Jirku's debut performance. The two easily found affinity
in their sounds and at the time they even boldly determined that techno music
need not be faster than 120 beats per minute. Despite deviations from this
through the course of those years we find ourselves with an album which indeed
rarely exceeds this pre-determined mark. The pace of the music at this tempo
aided by the music's structure seems to dissolve the listener's reference to
time in an almost disorientating effect. As the music progresses one can hear
the effects of the creator's hand fine-tuning the elements of the composition
in search of balance. Created as an event to occur only at the time of it's
performance, this album, thankfully recorded by Neil, gives us a look into the
artist's process. The rawness of the result is a relief from the overproduced,
sterile precision of computer music that is overabundant these days. The
abstention from addition post-production beyond Neil's own self-determined
processing allows us to hear the music as the creator intended, because there
is no purpose in allowing the creators work to be altered in some misguided
goal. The artwork for the album, a collaboration between Tomas Jirku and Greg
Smith, brings together multiple printing techniques in a resourceful and unique
package. Greg is an architect based between Toronto and Los Angeles who, along
with Neil, co-curates the Vague Terrain online digital arts quarterly.

purchase : $15 USD including shipping worldwide from riversof.com

(More retail locations coming soon. If you are interested in carrying this
release at your store, online or elsewhere, please contact us at
tomas at riversof.com)

edition : limited to 50 numbered CDRs with hand-made packaging and printing

design : Tomas Jirku and Greg Smith

label info:

Rivers of Recordings is a small, ideological record label created by Tomas
Jirku and his friends with the goal of keeping the founding values of
electronic music culture alive in spite of trends and critics. We will present
unique creations that reflect our ideas in the most unadulterated manner
possible. Each and every Rivers of Recordings creation is hand-made by the
artists involved in the project. Mass manufacturing is avoided and the result
is a limited edition of unique creations that range from CD albums to
screen-printed t-shirts and everything else we can come up with along the way.
All of this ensures the most direct connection between the artist and audience.
In addition to our irregular releases we have a regular podcast that you can
subscribe to or download from our website so check out our website regularly
for fresh mixes. We

thank you for your support!

Tomas Jirku - http://www.tomasjirku.com
Rivers of Recordings - http://www.riversof.com or www.myspace.com/riversof