[Microsound-announce] Call for works by Canadian sound artists

Phil Thomson hellomynameisphil+mcrsnd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:52:11 EST 2007

Hi all,

I've been charged with finding Canadian sound artists for an
exhibition in Korea. Description follows. Please email me offlist if
interested. Note that we only have space for a couple of artists and I
will not necessarily be able to reply to everyone who gets back to me.
Thanks!

Description of the exhibition
Title : Sound Art 101
Exhibition Period: April 24 through June 17th, 2007.

Objective of the exhibition:
As the title indicates my main objective of this Exhibition is to help
general public to be more familiarized with sound art works.  This
exhibition will be deepening appreciation of sound art of today.

Despite there have been several sound art exhibitions, sound art is
still unknown distant territory for general audience of Korea. What I
am aiming through this exhibition is to familiarize the field of sound
art for general public. I would like to achieve this by focusing on
the very foundation of sound art, "sound itself and only."  Although
this will limit the various level and aspect of sound art, I will
organize other sound exhibition later time updating the trend and
discourse of current sound art. As a start of introduction to sound
art, the audience of the exhibition will hear various sound art pieces
from three listening stations. The audience also will simultaneously
watch synchronized video images describing the sound art pieces they
are hearing. The audience will compare and different intentions of the
each art work.

Grouping criteria of the Three Listening Stations
Part I: Narrative, Text based works
Part II : electronic music or other music based art work
Part III : conceptual works

Artists I am Looking for
Sound artists who is contemporary, emerging, active in the field also
who agree to the presentation condition that I am proposing.

Theme:
There is no theme but the context of the work should be contemporary
and experimental.

Presentation condition
Preferably shorter than 10 min.
Works can be played in visual art gallery setting
Works to be compiled in DVD and heard through only a set of Headphones.
Works that no installation is required.
Works will be played consecutively with other works with very short interval.
Video description of the sound art will be projected in synch.

Once grouped, works will be compiled in to DVD-rom and each group will
be presented at the separate listening stations and the audience will
listen to the sound art through head sets that are covering whole
ears.  This means, the audience will only enjoy, appreciate the sound
art works and compare the selected sound art works. So they will
practice distinguishing subtle difference in each artwork.  The sound
art pieces will be accompanied with synchronized video of short
description of each work. Comfortable couches will be provided for the
general audience to help listening to the art works sitting back.

Also included will be 2 installation pieces that are not too involved
technologically. More direct sound sculptures.  No interactive art
will be included in this exhibition. and two installation pieces were
already decided.

~pt

--
A snail can sleep for three years.