[Microsound-announce] Fwd: PSA 027: sharing a shadow at the end of 2007

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon Dec 10 15:16:33 EST 2007

hope no one minds me forwarding this on from the helen scarsdale
agency.  happy holidays!

patrick

---------------------

Hello!

Welcome to the last Public Service Announcement from the Helen Scarsdale
Agency for 2007.

It has been a tumultuous autumn, leading up to a hectic holiday season;
yet we have managed to complete the arduous task of hand water-colouring
all of the artwork for Murmer's impeccable new album/ We Share a
Shadow./ Needless to say this CD is a limited affair, and dare we say it
would make an exceptional stocking stuffer? As for the details about
this fine production:

---------------------

MURMER
/We Share a Shadow/
HMS011 CD
$15.00

Murmer is the pseudonym for Patrick McGinley, a man with several
passports which have taken him to many a foreign land in search of found
sounds of the unsettled, the forgotten, the mysterious, and the
beautiful.  His field recordings of activated environments (e.g.
resonant industrial spaces, windswept telephone lines, bowed branches,
gasping ventilator systems, etc.) originate from all of the locations
where he has traveled; yet, the documentation of these sounds is the not
the terminus of McGinley's work. He is far more interested in extracting
a particular emotional, transcendent, or metaphysical kernel from those
sounds, and then recontextualizing that germinated sound into
sympathetic compositions of magnificent dronemusik.

/We Share A Shadow/ continues where Murmer left off with the exceptional
Husk album (in collaboration with Jonathan Coleclough), in spiraling his
manipulated field recordings as a slow revelation of the environmental
sonorities that undeservedly go unnoticed each and every day. Singing
frequencies of a bowed piece of metal undulate against a grey tapestry
of rain and rasping insects. Golden overtones from shimmering drones
quell what agitated textures reside in McGinley's active field
recordings, rendering the aggregate sound a nocturnal opiate with
considerable potency.

As Murmer, Patrick McGinley has produced a handful of releases on ICR,
Ground Fault, Drone Records, and Absurd; and he has performed in venues
both large and small across North America and Europe. He is also the
host the Framework radio show on Resonance FM, dedicated to the
consecration of field recordings and their use in composition.
/We Share A Shadow/ is strictly limited to 300 copies, featuring hand
water-coloured artwork and letterpress printing.

Agency, please respond to this message with "Remove, please" within the
subject header.

Merry Christmas!

The Helen Scarsdale Agency
http://www.helenscarsdale.com