[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 22.08.07

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Wed Aug 22 06:27:34 EDT 2007

framework broadcasts wednesdays on resonance104.4fm in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 1-2pm bst

next podcast:    29.08.07
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

for general info, playlists, podcast, or to stream the latest edition: http://www.resonancefm.com/framework
framework is supported by soundtransit: http://www.soundtransit.nl

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

***important announcement***   this month resonancefm is moving to brand-spanking-new studio premises, a vast improvement over the space we have now.  this is a big job, however, and live programming will be suspended for until the job is finished (archive programming will continue).  for this reason, framework will also be taking a few weeks off, to recharge our engines, and restock our ears.  the next new edition should happen in september - stay tuned, we'll let you know!

in the meantime, however, we will continue to update the podcast weekly, with shows from our own archive.  have a look at the playlists online; if there's a particular show you'd like to hear, from anytime in framework's 500 (sorry, 5) year history, let us know, and we'll try to line it up in the next few weeks.

this week we repeated an edition of framework:afield first aired on the 19th of may, 2006, produced in london, uk, by felicity ford (http://www.littlesongbox.co.uk).  i'm also forwarding on a call for participation for a field-recording related project from a fellow resfm program-maker - you can find the call at the end of this mail.  but first, from the original playlist:

  "This edition of Framework has been put together by Felicity Ford of the littlesongbox and is a collection of recordings by both established and unreleased artists. Works here include recordings of children's toys with musical mechanisms "playing," a composition based on a woman humming along with her radio, an elderly woman singing and playing the piano, Hawaiian birds singing, the sounds created by a piano being tuned, ethnographic field recordings of sound mimesis from Tuva along with recordings of ice melting, swimming pools, computer games, church bells and, of course, some music boxes.

  Much thanks to all the contributors for making such great work, for writing such friendly emails, for sending me CDs and for offering insight."

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  we are also now accepting proposals for full editions of our guest-curated series.  send proposals or material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.  if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

framework
bp17
27910 perruel
france

framework at talk21.com

22.08.07
(this edition will be available online until 29.08.07)

  1.. The loneliest text message in the world
mobile phone being played like an instrument

Felicity Ford

Unreleased

www.littlesongbox.co.uk

  2.. Bleeps at the supermarket checkout
Supermarket checkout bleeps

Peter Cusack

2001

Your Favourite London Sounds

London Musicians' Collective

www.l-m-c.org.uk

  3.. Wobbly bird toy
Metal bird toy with bells inside

Joceline Colvert

Unreleased

  4.. Forbidden City
Unedited field recording made in Beijing by Andy Graydon

Unreleased

http://www.andygraydon.net/

  5.. The Heater
Paula Booker

2004

www.canarygallery.com

Released on Spoken and Field

Claudia label / Tim Coster

http://www.and-oar.org/pop_distro_spoken_and_field.html

  6.. Humming radio caro cariño
Aeron's grandmother humming along with the radio

Released on Bousha Blue Blazes

Orthlong Musork

2002/2003

http://www.musork.com/o_15.html

http://www.luckykitchen.com/

  7.. CBLC_Bilder
Field-recording based composition featuring many urban sounds; automated announcements, accordion-playing buskers, train sounds etc.

Andy Graydon

http://www.andygraydon.net/figure.shtml

  8.. Surrey Street Market
An unedited recording featuring the cries of the street-sellers in surrey street market, Croydon

Felicity Ford

Unreleased

  9.. Top ten
A woman with an Australian accent speaking into a mobile phone (this has been mixed over the market recording)

Erica Van Zon

2004

Released on Spoken and Field

Claudia label / Tim Coster

http://www.and-oar.org/pop_distro_spoken_and_field.html

  10.. Blackbird Dawn Chorus
The gorgeous sound of urban blackbird song

Peter Cusack

2001

Your Favourite London Sounds

London Musicians' Collective

www.l-m-c.org.uk

  11.. Kuiaha Gulch
Unedited field recording of insects and birds in luscious Hawaii

Field recording contributed by Andy Graydon

Unreleased

http://www.andygraydon.net/

  12.. Birds and Bird Imitations
Ethnographic field recording of birdsong and Tuvan singers impersonating birds

Ted Levin/Joel Gordon

1999

Smithsonian Folkways

  13.. Portland stone pieces
2 pieces involving Portland Stone

hammer being dragged over the surface of Portland stone, which apparently has a very beautiful note or ring to it

Portland stone being tapped rhythmically with stone-carving equipment

http://www.rsaum.co.uk/weblog/archives/2005/12/sound.php#comments

Joceline Colvert

Unreleased

..............................................(for full playlist please see the online archive).............................................

 framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!

A call for recorded sound material/sound pieces/field recordings

The Happening

The basement, 10 - 16 Aswin St. London E8.
6TH - 9TH September 16 - 22 pm. Free

The Happening is 4 days, site specific, performance & sound installation
mixing live improvised music, recorded compositions, sound sculptures,
poetry, artist's interventions, large group compositions and audience
participation. The event would utilise the specific architecture of the
space, blurring the boundaries between performance, artistic exploration and
participation. By relating to the physical space as a big soundboard and the
individual rooms as sound chambers within this sound box, the space itself
would become a resonating instrument.  A series of "events", each of them
unique, would be introduced in individual rooms and over the 4 days, these
would create and present an ever- changing programme.

During the 4 days we would be playing a variety of recorded sound material:
compositions, found, concrete, incidental, electronic, acoustic, text,
instrumental, vocal.

The recordings would be played through guitar/bass amps and portable CD
players.  Several pieces would be played simultaneously, from different
rooms, creating a unique sound mix which would be changing throughout the 4
days of the installation.

We are looking for recordings of up to 10 min but no shorter than 2 min.
If you would like to submit material to be considered for this installation,
please send a CD, in audio format .wav (44.1 kHz - 16 bit) to: The
Happening, Basement Flat, 70A Brondesbury Villas, London NW6 6AD
Please include your name and contact email.

We would not be able to play all the submitted materials and will only
contact you if we decide to play your submission. We regret that we will
only be able to return your CD if you include a stamped, self addressed
envelope.

For more information please email dhappening at gmail.com