[Microsound-announce] broken machine sound: spasm chasm: failing

{ brad brace } bbrace at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 11 19:50:50 EDT 2007

a failing hard-drive is a scary and auditory experience
and I dont really understand how one (it) can fail
physically...
short of throwing it out the window
but Ive been trying various software repairs on mine to no
avail
however Ive recorded the very loud and varied noises it made
in repair-mode
(it kept me from a sound sleep for three nights)

Ill soon post twenty or more hours of incessant though
curiously varied clicking, clacking, buzzing on my web-radio
station ... possibly with some live jazz-sax (digital
wind-controller) accompaniment
(although in keeping with the spirit of these non-times
itll maybe off-air periodically as I re-rip mp3s
for all you damn purists
of thousands of hours of field-recordings
at 128 kbps (although recently even that rate is
seemingly unfavourable)
are ubu and the internet archive the only online
repositories for public recordings/
(my keyboard no longer makes question-marks!)

bbs: brad brace sound:
http://69.64.229.114:8000
Global Islands Project:
http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/id.html