[Microsound-announce] New on Furthernoise.org

Roger Mills roger at eartrumpet.org
Mon Mar 13 07:05:24 EST 2006

Welcome to a bulging edition of Furthernoise which is the largest
edition to date and contains reviews of some of the most innovative
music and sound art to cross our desktops.

We feature the long awaited Music and Climate Change CD and as part of
the Newcastle Science Festival 06 we are also hosting a 7 - 8 pm clear
spot on Resonance FM on 27th of March when curator David De La Haye
will be showcasing music from the compilation.

The 2nd 'Explorations in Sound' net release is now online which
amoungst others features the much talked about James Wyness, Drone
meisters Mikroknytes and Brazilian sonic mash-up artist SEB (who will
be featured in the next edition).

Download the limited edition compilation with print / fold sleeve.

We have also extended our call for A/V artists to take part in our
summer series of live net performances 'A Month of Sunday's'. The
performances will be held on each Sunday afternoon of June starting at
16.00 BST. See site for submission details.

Reviews

"André Gonçalves & Kenneth Kirschner : Resonant Objects" (review)
Presented in New York last year as an installation, Resonant Objects is
the result of a collaboration between Kirschner, Gonçalves and the
Experimental Intermedia Foundation.
Listening to this disc brings us to discussions about the presentation
of sound art. How related is this CD to the original piece?
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=97
review by Mark McLaren

"Dinosaur Dinosaur" (review)
The "DINOSAUR DINOSAUR" press release seems to make it required
reviewing to name this genre 'beatpunk'. Which, I guess is a reasonable
request: The album has that thrown-together plundered sound, where the
so-called punk aesthetic of similar artists such as KID606 can either
grate or work depending on the how all juxtapositions work out.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=89
review by Mark McLaren

"Inside Voices" (review)
James Wyness is a sound artist based in Jedburgh in the Scottish
Borders. Inside Voices represents his first release on his label
Faraway, and is a limited edition release of 100 copies.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=99
review by Alex Young

"jgrzinich - insular regions" (review)
John Grzinich's new album reflects the surroundings and pace of life in
a small Estonian village called Mooste, where the sound was recorded
and assembled. The work takes the form of two long pieces (18 minutes
and 44 minutes respectively) which could be pigeon-holed as
'deep-listening drones with field recording textures'.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=93
review by Mark McLaren

"Kiss Me Deadly" (review)
Misty Medley is KISS ME DEADLY's new album on Alien8 records. Without
hearing this Montreal band's first album I can't tell if they've come
on in leaps and bounds, found this a 'difficult' second album, or even
have shied away from their earlier influences...
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=100
review by Mark McLaren

"LINUX OPEN SOURCE SOUND [l.o.s.s.]" (review)
LINUX OPEN SOURCE SOUND [l.o.s.s.] is a great idea: compile a bunch of
music made with and promoting free, open source sound-battering
software such as Pure Data, Supercollider and audacity. The finished
tracks are available for free as ogg vorbis files [think vegan mp3
files].
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=95
review by Mark McLaren

"Music and Climate Change - Various Artists" (review)
In January 2006, a unique creative opportunity was announced to the
North-East's universities – a call for Music and Art based on the theme
of climate change. Realising the inspirational quality of the call and
the fact that this wasn't just a regional concern, David JC de la Haye
requested Newcastle University allowed him to open the call out to a
wider audience so that others may voice their concerns through their
chosen medium.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=103
review by DJC de la Haye

"Sess - Superstreng - Mikroknytes" (review)
Sess-Superstreng is the first studio recorded release in a couple of
years from the honourable Knytes of the realm of drone by Washington
DC's Mikroknytes. Released on this occasion through Commie 64's new
label Kavekaveti it bares all the hallmarks of the sound they have
honed over the years which is both gentle one minute and terrifying the
next.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=92
review by Roger Mills

"Text-Sound Compositions A Stockholm Festival" (review)
'Text-Sound Compositions - A Stockholm Festival' is a truly delicious
CD box set re-releasing roughly six hours of sound poetry that
originally came out on limited edition vinyl between 1968-77. This
series was made in collaboration with the intermedia organisation
Fylkingen and the Swedish National Radio as part of yearly festivals
that were held in Stockholm.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=101
review by Mark McLaren

"The Caution Curves CD" (review)
The Caution Curves are a cosy electro acoustic combo comprising Amanda
Huron, drums and percussion, Tristana Fiscella, vocals and guitar, and
Rebecca Mills on her laptop, hailing from Washington DC, who's music is
refreshingly nice (as opposed to nasty).
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=90
review by Mark Francombe

"The Science of Imaginary Solutions" (review)
'Pataphysics is a compilation curated by Andrew Hugill, based on the
work of Alfred Jarry. It is the best thing ever containing not one but
two absinthe soaked orgies of funk, some gun toting poets, time
travelling silence and a backwards speaking dwarfs looking for the
number of a good lawyer. What more could a pair of ears wish for?
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=102
review by Mark McLaren

"Truth Becomes Death - Nadja" (review)
In the time it has taken me to write this review, Aidan Baker may well
have completed several new albums, such are the feats of his
productivity. He describes himself as someone who: 'explores the
deconstructive sonic possibilities of the electric guitar as a primary
sound source, creating music that ranges from experimental to post-rock
to contemporary classical'
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=88
review by Mark McLaren

"Untitled Songs: 49 years from Gesang der Jünglinge" (review)
Portugal's Sirr records present a 2 CD compilation of 21 artists
working in some way from Stockhausen's piece Gesang der Jünglinge.
Sirr's reasons for its 'non-homage' is that the piece has become almost
public domain by being "taught in music lessons, and held high as a
landmark of a specific style or method or epoch".
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=94
review by Mark McLaren

Roger Mills
Editor, Furthernoise