[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 10.02.06

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Thu Feb 16 15:17:56 EST 2006

framework broadcasts live fridays (except the first one of each month) on resonance104.4fm in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 8-9pm gmt, and is repeated sundays from 7-8am gmt

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

next live broadcast:    17.02.06
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

a special guest in the studio for this edition of framework; aberdeen resident american composer bill thompson was visiting london for participation in goldsmith college's sound practice 2006 conference.  he joined us to perform 3 live pieces, two compositions and one improvisation, including a reworked and manipulated version of one of our favorite untreated recordings of last year, of wind whistling and singing through scaffolding poles at a construction site near his home.  the composed version filters out all of the wind sounds themselves, leaving only the minimal melancholy pattern of harmonic whistling tones, spacious and breath-taking.  a truly wonderful piece.  if you didn't catch the broadcast of the next day's live performance here in london, you can still catch sunday morning's repeat of this edition.

for the other half of this show we sampled a few long tracks, one a recent release by repeat framework contributor emmanuel mieville, the other a 2004 composition by british composer darren tate.  we also heard several short tracks from a forgotten gem, asmus tietchen's 1998 release on the french label erostrate, glimmen.  these highly manipulated chunky blocks of sound are all constructed, we are told, from the sounds of combustion...

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

10.02.06

this edition will be rebroadcast this sunday, 19.02.06, at 7am gmt

bill thompson  /  framework intro
a late night seaside dog-walking intro from this edition's live studio guest
http://www.billthompson.org

emmanuel mieville  /  balok night birds  /  balok night birds  /  why not ltd
lush largely untreated soundscape of bird and insect noises
emieville at noos.fr, http://www.geocities.com/whynotltd

asmus tietchens  /  sub-h 4
                             lumen 9  /  glimmen  /  erostrate
two contrasting tracks of highly treated combustion sounds
http://www.tietchens.de, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/erostrate

darren tate  /  track one  /  by the stream  /  fungal records
very musical self released mixture of natural soundscapes, concertina, guitar and electronics

asmus tietchens  /  lumen 14
                             lumen 10
                             lumen 15  /  glimmen  /  erostrate
a further delve into the grit and crackle, the noise of heat
http://www.tietchens.de, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/erostrate

bill thompson  /  live on framework
live performance in the resonancefm studio
http://www.billthompson.org

asmus tietchens  /  sub-h 3  /  glimmen  /  erostrate
a closing sample of knocks and thumping flames
http://www.tietchens.de, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/erostrate

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!