[Microsound-announce] Call for Recordings of Place-Chicago Gallery Show

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Tue Dec 5 12:20:13 EST 2006

Is there a particular geographical place you've developed a
relationship with through sound? Could you take take some of the
sound, package it up with some physical evidence and ship it to
Chicago, Illinois? To this end, Zoe Asta and I are curating a show
called, "GeoPhonoBox," for which we hope to fill a 2400-square-foot
gallery with sound generating boxes from places all over the world.

Here's how it will work: There are two box sizes to choose from:
12"X10"X4" and 16"X12"X8."  Each box must be able to generate its own
sound (which can be as simple as a CD player/headphones or?) and its
contents must identify the place of origination.  Your work would be
included with recordists of all leanings -- phonographers,
composers, nature recordists, sound artists, ethnographers,
pedestrians, geographers, agriculturists, naturalists, radio
journalists and others who develop relations to place through sound.

To confirm your interest, cut and paste the short application form at
the bottom of this Call for Participation, http://www.zoeasta.com/
sound2.htm, into an email and send it to both of us along with a
couple of mp3 examples of your recordings to:

  Zoe Asta <zoe_asta at yahoo.com> AND Rob Danielson <type at uwm.edu>

by December 17th, 2006.  We will notify you that your application has
been accepted by January 4, 2007, or earlier, and send you the box
size of your choice. Boxes are to be returned to Chicago by February
10, 2007. The gallery opening at the Around the Coyote Gallery is on
March 2nd.

There are additional considerations and terms on the invitation link.
Feel free to email us with questions. We look forward to including
your work in the show!

Sincerely,
Zoe Asta and Rob Danielson