[Microsound-announce] August:September 2006.txt

bruce tovsky bruce at skeletonhome.com
Tue Aug 15 23:00:20 EDT 2006

hello all
an invitation to some upcoming events of interest:
my friend matt davignon from SF will be guest artist in the next "meetings" event, this time off-site in the Issue Project Room silo. and the star of our very successful last "meetings" event at 106BLDG30, olivier pasquet, will be returning to NYC with his duo "jacqueline" (with françois sarhan) for a show at the austere and lovely Diapason. both shows will feature an impressive roster of sound and video artists joining our guests for some improvisational sets. more info below. finally, there is a Phonography show coming up at Issue that i highly recommend. any of you who attended last years events at the 6th & B garden or at BPM will remember the evocative sounds created by the crew there.

Sunday, August 20th

meetings III
w/ matt davignon, david linton, ben owen, richard garet, sawako & bruce tovsky + video artists shimpei takeda and chika.

Bay-area improviser Matt Davignon pays a rare visit to New York City, and this setting pairs him with a diverse group of local improvisers. Know for his prowess with drum machines and processing, coaxing curtains of sound from his boxes, Davignon also co-curates one of the Bay Area's most adventurous music series in one of its most inviting spaces - The Luggage Store Gallery. Joined by Richard Garet, David Linton, Ben Owen, Sawako and Bruce Tovsky, the group will be augmented by video artists Shimpei Takeda and Chika, who will provide two screens of improvisational video. Sound designer Stephan Moore will sculpt the resulting soundscape with his innovative 16-channel hemispheric speaker installation.

Matt Davignon is an experimental musician living in Oakland, California. Since 1993, he has developed his own unique style of music, which focuses largely on textures, arrhythmic patterns and musical imperfections. Since 2004, he has been working almost exclusively with a drum machine. Instead of using it as a rhythm device, he plays the pads manually while processing the sounds through an array of effects devices and samplers, improvising music made of organic-sounding textures, hums, gurgles and crackles.
Matt is also active in organizing experimental & unusual music performances in the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition to being responsible for such events as The San Francisco Found Objects Festival, Sound/Shift Oakland and helping to launch the Field Effects series, he's one of the curators for the Luggage Store Gallery New Music Series, the longest continuously running series for experimental and improvised music in San Francisco. www.ribosomemusic.com

8:00 p.m., $10

ISSUE PROJECT ROOM
400 Carroll Street
between Bond and Nevins
Brooklyn, NY 11231

Telephone: 718-330-0313

|| |||| | | |||| | ||| |||||| ||| | ||| || | ||| | | | |||||| | || || |||

September 8 @ 8pm  $10
Diapason Gallery
Diapason is located at 1026 Avenue of the Americas between 38th and 39th Streets, two blocks south of Bryant Park.

"Jacqueline" featuring Olivier Pasquet and François Sarhan makes its debut performance at NYC's Diapason Gallery. Olivier says: "The performance is something between pure electronic music, IDM and spoken words." Olivier made his solo NYC debut last spring at 106BLDG30, Bruce Tovsky's performance space in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Olivier and François will do a duo set and then play a set of group improvisations with Tovsky, Gill Arno (mpld), Zach Layton,  Ben Owen and Michael Schumacher, composer and director of Diapason. Adam Kendall and Chika will be creating live video throughout the evening.

OLIVIER PASQUET
Olivier Pasquet is a composer and a computer-music designer.
He worked as a full-time electroacoustic music designer in the creation department at Ircam from 1999 to 2004 helping composers in the algorithmic creation, realisation and interpretation of their pieces. He is now composing his own electronic music. He is also a freelance computer-music designer for various mixed music, digital artists and other creators in domains like dynamic architecture and design. He is interested in generative music and live interpretation using various inspired generalized theories.
Collaborations:
Comedie Francaise, Georges Aperghis, Mathew Adkins, Xavier Alvarez, Fredrik Hedelin, Brice Pauset, Francois Sarhan, Rand Steiger, Walter Feldman, Thierry Fournier, Lucia Ronchetti, Mauro Lanza, Lucas Francesconi, Rolf Wallin, Lorella Abenavoli, David Felder, Franck Bedrossian, Jean-Francois Peyret, Alexandros Markeas, William Forsythe, Jean Baptiste Barriere.

FRANÇOIS SARHAN
Since the premiere of his first work "Esquisse pour la Fleur Inverse n°1" in 1995 at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées (commemorating the 70th birthday of Pierre Boulez), François Sarhan has composed music in many genres : orchestra, chamber music (Bobok cycle for 2, 3, 4 et 5 string instruments), opera (Kyrielle du Sentiment des Choses, premiered at festival d'Art lyrique d'Aix-en-Provence in 2003), electronic and mixed music. His work is performed as portraits and monographic concerts (ensemble Ictus, Alternance) and he is regularly invited in residence (Octobre en Normandie, Metz, Witten, Manchester). Not only a composer, he founded a production oranisation for music theater and concerts, called crWth. He publishes his music himself (fsarhan.net) and attends many manifestations, with dance and theater. He developed his ideas about music in his book "Introduction à l'histoire de la musique", commissioned by Flammarion (2004), as well as in his upcoming book "Observation sur la musique accidentelle Modern in Frankfurt.

|| |||| | | |||| | ||| |||||| ||| | ||| || | ||| | | | |||||| | || || |||

september 13, 2006: NY Phonographers meeting I
Issue Project Room, 8 pm

tom mulligan
albert casais
seth cluett
richard garet
andy graydon
bruce tovsky
mike rosenthal
gill arno
stephan moore
ben owen
scott smallwood
sawako
michael farley
michelle naga

opening sound installation from ben owen

a note from bruce: for those of you who might not know, the Phonographers are a loose-knit group of sound artists and composers who make field recordings - recordings of nature, cityscapes, domestic clatter and other subjects - to use either unprocessed or manipulated in their own works.
this particular gathering, organized by ben owen, features some of the best practitioners in this expanding field. highly recommended.