[Microsound-announce] new from and/OAR: Andrew Deutsch: The Sun

dkl37 at juno.com dkl37 at juno.com
Wed Sep 21 05:07:34 EDT 2005

Greetings everyone,

Once again, my apologies for the crossposting...

catalog number: and/21
artist: ANDREW DEUTSCH
title: The Sun
format: CD

and/OAR is extremely happy to present this powerfully mesmerizing work;
remastered and reissued for the first time on CD format.
Under the original title of "Der Sonne",  this work was originally issued
as
a limited quantity CDR release on Andrew Deutsch's Magic If label
several  years ago.

"The Sun was constructed by passing ocean waves (recorded at Rye
Beach, New Hampshire), through various digital processing devices. The
most articulate of these processors was a tone generator able to isolate
and respond to specific frequencies present in the ocean waves. The
concept behind The Sun was to make a static music or a kind of music
that just shimmered in place. This concept can be traced back to the
works of Anthony Braxton in his Tri Axiom Writings, and to Stockhausen in

his early serial pieces. As Stockhausen says, "there is a difference
between starting and stopping and beginning and ending". The pieces
presented here do not begin and end but simply start and stop. The Sun
is also a work, in a series of works, I have created to aid in the
process of
drawing. I call these works 'image drones/sounds for drawing'. The
sounds were all inspired by the 'power field theories' of Joseph Beuys
and are dedicated to him and his family."  - Andrew Deutsch

This release will present the first of a new line of packaging for
and/OAR.
Nicely printed oversized cardstock inserts inside a sturdy clear plastic
sleeve with a flap. The CDs will be protected by cloth safety sleeves
made in Japan. Special thanks to Kiyoshi Mizutani and Kiyoharu
Kuwayama for their help in obtaining the sleeves.

Thanks very much for your time.
Best Wishes, Dale

Dale Lloyd:  http://www.and-oar.org/dalelloyd.html
and/OAR:  http://www.and-oar.org/