[Microsound-announce] Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience nominated for Deutche Welle Best of the Blogs

John Maxwell Hobbs jmax at cinemavolta.com
Wed Sep 7 04:51:17 EDT 2005

Just a quick note to let you know that I've just been informed that
Daily Ambience has been nominated in the category of "Best Podcast"
for Deutsche Welle's "BOB" awards:

About Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience:
As an exploration of ambient music and the limits of my own
creativity, I will be composing and releasing a new song each day.

Sometimes these songs will be sketches, sometimes full-blown
compositions, it all depends on my inspiration and my available time.
I hope to keep this up for a year, let's see how it works out. I hope
you enjoy them.

About Cinema Volta:

Cinema Volta consists of John Maxwell Hobbs, a stack of electronic
equipment, musical instruments in various states of disrepair and
occasional collaborators.

John Maxwell Hobbs is an electronic musician based in Stockholm
Sweden who has been working with computer multimedia and
telecommunications for more than eighteen years. His contributions to
the early days of music on the web have been documented in the book
"Virtual Music" by William Duckworth.

 From the book:

"In a review of his interactive online instrument, Web Phases, Kyle
Gann of the Village Voice described it as being 'on a noticeably
higher artistic level' than the earliest tape-music and computer-
music pieces, concluding that 'the potential for social reorientation
is even more incredible,' and predicting 'we'll look back and say
1998 was the year our relationship to music entered a new era.'"

For much of the '90s he was the Producing Director of The Kitchen in
New York where he was involved in producing the performances by
Philip Glass, DJ Spooky, David Hykes and many others.

He is the Vice President of the board of directors of Vanguard
Visions, an organization dedicated to fostering the work of artists
experimenting with technology and also served on the Digital Arts
subcommittee of the Mayor's Council on New Media in New York City.
His interactive composition Web Phases was one of the winners of
ASCI's Digital '98 competition.  He has collaborated with artist/
programmer Mark Napier on Ripple, an interactive musical instrument.

John Maxwell Hobbs

jmax at cinemavolta.com

Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience
Fresh Ambient Music Composed Daily