[Microsound-announce] Thu, 12/1 invented instruments at the Luggage Store in San Francisco

Matt Davignon mattdavignon at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 30 02:40:38 EST 2005

Thursday, Dec 1 2005 8:00 PM

Luggage Store Gallery New Music Series
1007 Market St. @ 6th Street
San Francisco
$6-10 sliding scale

Volume 3 of Bay Inventors
(Matt Davignon's irregular/informal series for unusual
musical instrument designers)

8pm: Bob Marsh presents the Silver Park, and
instrument based on an architectural model.
9pm: Eric Glick Rieman presents his deconstructed,
mutated Prepared Rhodes Piano

Bob Marsh:
"Silver Park is a kind of stage upon which I act out
various sonic events and ideas. Silver Park began as a
model of a proposal I was making for a park in
downtown Detroit several years ago. A few years a ago,
inspired by a couple guys playing an amplified cactus
at High Zero Festival in Baltimore, I decided to try
adding a couple piezzo transducers to it to see what I
might hear. After a recent visit by Johannes Bergmark
of Sweden I decided to re-double my efforts with
Silver Park.

"In this performance I hope to combine the desolate
desperation of Detroit as portrayed on Silver Park
with the rather frenetic desperation of the Market and
Sixth area of San Francisco which will come through
the open windows of the Luggage Store Gallery. This
combination will then become the ground for my own
desperate improvising."

Eric Glick Rieman:
"I modified a Rhodes electric piano by installing two
extended sound boards which house vertical tuned zinc
rods. These can be played by bowing or striking. I
also prepare the inside of the Rhodes, which is left
exposed so I can play the tines and resonators. I play
the insides with my hands, with files, with mallets,
with rocks and chains, and occasionally with the
keyboard."

For instrument photos and more information on the Bay
Inventors series:
http://www.ribosomemusic.com/inventors.html