[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 25.11.05

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon Nov 28 16:49:25 EST 2005

framework broadcasts live every friday (except the first one of each month) on resonance104.4fm in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 8-9pm gmt, and is repeated the following wednesday from 10-11am gmt

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

next repeat edition:    30.11.05
next live broadcast:    09.12.05
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

having received several submissions of vocal and/or narrative work over the part few months, we embarked on our second edition of vocal field recordings this week (you may remember our first, earlier this year, inspired by tim coster's vocal and field compilation), loosely structured around joseph young's narrative, and quite theatrical, piece, the family album.  his field recordings take on a more literal role than we're used to here, while playing an active, not an illustrative, role in these memoirs.  we also heard several voices (as well as several voiceless recordings) in the work dan crall, including the amazingly emotive opening tale from a lost soul who has just shot his horse.  the latest instalment of viv corringham's shadow-walks, these undertaken on the irish island of cobh, also made an appearance - viv's shadow walks are sonic figurative reconstructions of her subjects favorite walks, constructed from sounds and objects found along the journey.  voiceless respite was found along our way through new works by jason kahn and lawrence english, and by a somehow narrative but wordless piece by canadian composer eldad tsabury which in constructed from late night sounds of montreal streets processed and composed to represent the soundscape as heard from inside the belly of a drunkard asleep on a bench nearby.

another event coming up of possible interest to framework listeners - if you'll forgive the personal plug (or even if you won't): i will be playing a live set at mark schreiber's upcoming tone debris event at the whitechapel gallery here in london - if you make it down please say hello!

  Tone Debris
  w/ murmer, modified ka, lgamble, djs tom scott & space commander travis
  curated by mark schreiber
  Thursday, December 8th, 2005
  The Whitechapel Gallery, 80-82 Whitechapel High St
  Aldgate East Underground Station
  7pm SHARP
  free!
  An evening focussing on possible meeting points between melody and 'noise', or tone and its fragmented neighbour. modified ka describe themselves as "acoustic in every electronic bit" (with guitar, electronics and drums). Lgamble's microscopic laptop abstractions celebrate the fractured while murmer does a melding of field recordings with the tonal 'playing' of a bowed metal chime (www.murmerings.com). DJs Tom Scott and Space Commander Travis move from obscure film soundtracks all the way to possible Spoken Word.

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

25.11.05

this edition will be rebroadcast this wednesday, 30.11.05, at 10am gmt

(artist  /  title  /  album  /  label)

thomas armstrong  /  framework intro

dan crall  /  i killed my horse this mornin  /  north  /  -
amazing testimony from a man who crawled out of an oregon river
http://www.dancrall.blogspot.com

joseph young  /  my brother  /  the family album  /  -
childhood memoirs of collections and early recordings
http://www.josephyoung.co.uk

dan crall  /  devil's playground  /  north  /  -
odd whirling drones from strange playing children
http://www.dancrall.blogspot.com

jason kahn  /  track 6  /  sihl  /  sirr
tonal playing for our vocal backdrop
http://www.jasonkahn.net, http://www.sirr-ecords.com

joseph young  /  ginger and myself  /  the family album  /  -
broadcast tales and the goals of a youngster
http://www.josephyoung.co.uk

lawrence english  /  parallel (midgap)  /  happiness will befall  /  cronica
deep throbbing and distant echoing crackles
lawrence at room40.org, http://www.room40.org, http://cronicaelectronica.org

viv corringham  /  it makes you feel small  /  shadow-walks in cobh  /  -
a collection of recollections from viv's cobh shadow-walks
http://vivdc.org.uk

dan crall  /  cicada recording  /  north  /  -
another perspective on the recent appearance of these insects on their 17 year cycle
http://www.dancrall.blogspot.com

joseph young  /  pleasure beach  /  the family album  /  -
a final short-of-breath tale of family beach memories
http://www.josephyoung.co.uk

jason kahn  /  track 7  /  sihl  /  sirr
more melancholy radio-sounding tone-plays
http://www.jasonkahn.net, http://www.sirr-ecords.com

lawrence english  /  within confines of glass  /  happiness will befall  /  cronica
like lo-fi fires and distant ship horns interpreting viv's next set of shadow-walks...
lawrence at room40.org, http://www.room40.org, http://cronicaelectronica.org

viv corringham  /  there's lovely memories  /  shadow-walks in cobh  /  -
"sometimes, when i was so young, i'd have to do it from memory..."
http://vivdc.org.uk

dan crall  /  timber  /  north  /  -
hollow tones from the plucking of split-wood spikes
http://www.dancrall.blogspot.com

eldad tsabury  /  gastrointestinal disorder  /  -  /  -
heavily distorted grumblings from the belly of a drunk
eldad at yaeldad.com

dan crall  /  voicemail from paul  /  north  /  -
perhaps someone should return his call
http://www.dancrall.blogspot.com

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!