[Microsound-announce] Symbiosis Playlist (12/6/05) & Highlights

Simon Hampson simon at symbiosis.com.au
Sun Jun 19 02:00:03 EDT 2005

Symbiosis - Experimental Sound Textures and Rhythms
[Headphones recommended]

12am - 2am Sunday nights
102.7 FM, Melbourne, Australia
Listen online: http://www.rrr.org.au/symbiosis/

Time Zone Converter: http://worldtimeserver.com/
(Show broadcasts in GMT +11)

Symbiosis
c/o Triple R
PO Box 304
Fitzroy, VIC  3068
Australia

info at symbiosis.com.au

presented by Simon Hampson
-------show highlights----------------------

This week (19th):
- Jamie Lidell (UK) talks about his new record on Warp, 'Multiply' and I
chat with Matt Roesner (Australia) about his new cd on Room 40 and upcoming
tour of the East Coast. Check out the Symbiosis page for more details.
Room40: www.room40.org
Warp: www.warprecords.com

26th: Liquid Architecture 6 (Program online:
www.liquidarchitecture.org.au/la6-program)
Jodi Rose (Australia) is in town and I have finally got a chance to get her
down to the studio. She will be performing live (experimenting with some new
tools that she has just picked up!) and having a chat about 'Vibrations',
her record that was released in Februrary this year. DJ Olive (US) joins me
on the phone to talk about his recent adventures around Australia and what
Melbourne audiences can expect from his Liquid Architecture appearance.

3rd: Liquid Architecture 6 (Program online:
www.liquidarchitecture.org.au/la6-program)
Thomas Brinkmann (Germany) visits the Triple R studios to have a chat.
Thomas will be performing live as well as talking about the master class
that he is doing on Monday 4th as part of Liquid Architecture. Local artists
Scott Sinclair, Clinton Green and Joe Musgrove pop by. Scott and Clinton
have just released their new collaboration on Shame File Music, 'With Doors
Open'. In the pipeline: Ai Yamamoto, Zac Keillor (Dreamland Recordings), the
monthly Label Feature returns...

Hi all,
Last week's show centred around an adventurous performance by Rod Cooper.
The Melbourne-based instrument builder has recently being incorporating some
electronics and experimenting with field recordings. It is a nice compliment
to the deep tonalities present in his compositions. Rod's debut album,
'Friction', is available from Room 40 (www.room40.org).

On tonight's show I will be featuring a recent chat with Jamie Lidell. I had
only heard bits and pieces of Jamie's work prior to his performance in
Melbourne last year. Suffice to say I was blown away. It was definately one
of the highlights of last year and it ranks up there with my best shows of
all time. Yes, it's a little more melodic than I usually present on
Symbiosis, but Jamie's creations still involve a good dose of electronic
experimentation (especially live). Check it out... 'Mulitply' will be one to
please the family when they keep turning off your other Warp favourites!

In the second hour, Matt Roesner joins me on the phone from Western
Australia. He has just started his first East Coast tour and is celebrating
the release of his new record on Room 40. 'Alluvial' displays a spectacular
growth in Matt's sound. It is full of acoustic elements which are
accompanied by beautiful tonal hum.

It feels like a conspiracy but it's not! Just all these great releases on
Room40. 2005 has been a great year for the Brisbane-based label and it
promises to continue with many more great things planned. If all goes well I
will be looking at Room40 and the work of Lawrence English in the August
label feature.

Liquid Architecture 6 is on the horizon. Keep your ears open for coverage
over the next few weeks..

As always I am eager to hear more sounds. Keep sending your pieces to the
address above and feel free to get in contact...

Simon.