[Microsound-announce] Umatic artists play 5 Days Off / techno² (Montevideo, Amsterdam)

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Jul 1 13:12:26 EDT 2005

/begin transmission

An update from Umatic.nl
---> http://umatic.nl

Contents:

1) Umatic artists play 5 Days Off / techno² (Montevideo, Amsterdam)
2) New + upcoming releases featuring Umatic artists

1) Umatic artists play 5 Days Off / techno² (Montevideo, Amsterdam)

Umatic artists Derek Holzer, Sara Kolster and Bas van Koolwijk will play
two different live sets for the 5 Days Off Festival's media art program
"techno²", at the Nederlands Instituut voor Mediakunst/Montevideo in
Amsterdam.

--->July 13, 20:00 Sara Kolster & Derek Holzer perform "resonanCITY"

Many sounds and images in our everyday lives slip past our notice simply
because they are too small, or because we lack the proper receivers to
pick them up. "resonanCITY" is an ongoing project to gather these
microscopic sounds and images from various cities, and to amplify and
transform them. The goal is to build a new city of sound and visuals
inside the old one, and to inspire curiosity and exploration of one’s
own environment. Visually, Kolster’s work deconstructs the analog/
digital dichotemy by presenting carefully prepared film positives in a
software-manipulated environment. Similarly, Holzer’s realtime digital
sound treatments highlight and enhance rather than obscure and distort
the phonographic sources he collects.

resonanCITY recently won the second prize at the WRO International Media
Arts Biennale in Wroclaw, PL.

--->July 14, 20:00: Bas van Koolwijk perfoms FDBCK/AV

Solo live performance in which Van Koolwijk generates a feedback control
circuit between the audio and the video signals, making audio and video
become two facets of a self-sustaining data stream. When connected and
switched on, FDBCK/AV becomes a cybernetic entity feeding on numerical
values. External control is established by injecting extra data into the
system to manipulate parameters for the algorithmic interpretation of
image>sound and sound>image. The application with which this is done,
makes no use of camera or movie input. All sound and image data are
generated real-time within the feedback system using digital video basics.

More info:
http://www.montevideo.nl/nl/agenda/detail_agenda.php?id=248
http://www.5daysoff.nl/

***

2) New + upcoming releases featuring Umatic artists

Out now:

* V/A - Essays on Radio: Can I have 2 minutes of your time?
Crónica 021~2005 DVD NTSC Region Free, Crónica Records
--->Sara Kolster/Pawel Grabowski: Untitled 2:00
http://cronicaelectronica.org

* V/A - Untitled Songs on the 49th year of Gesang der Jünglinge
sirr 020 double CD, Sirr|ecords
--->Derek Holzer: untitled (furnace)
http://www.sirr-ecords.com/cat/20untitled.html

Coming soon: