[Microsound-announce] "Concert for Greenland" by Verdensteatret at PS122, NY

Trond Lossius lossius at bek.no
Fri Dec 2 03:47:23 EST 2005

(Pardon for cross-posting)

VERDENSTEATRET (NO) presents
"CONCERT FOR GREENLAND"

7 and 8 December at 20.00.

PS 122 in New York
Performance Space
150 1st. AVENUE. EAST 9th STREET

For tickets: http://www.ps122.org
or call Theatermania at 212 352 3101

"CONCERT FOR GREENLAND"

"THAT CORPSE YOU PLANTED LAST YEAR IN YOUR GARDEN, HAS IT BEGAN TO
SPROUT,
WILL IT BLOOM THIS YEAR?"

Verdensteatret is recognized as one of the leading Norwegian
contemporary theatre/performance ensembles, particularly well known
for their original and unexpected use of new technology in live art.
Verdensteatret is a collective of artists from different art fields,
and they have made the performance into a complex polyphonic
instrument, a "live animation machine" consisting of mirror
projections, robots, motorized objects and more. The performance was
hailed by critics as the best performance in Norway 2004.
Verdensteatret has been touring Europe for many years but this is the
first time they are performing in US.

"Concert for Greenland" is thematically based on the company's travel
and research around the Northwest-Atlantic islands in 2003:
Greenland, Iceland and the Faeroe Islands as well as Norway. It is
also an expedition through soundscapes, language and visual
transformations, an audio-visual composition where rusty mechanics
meet new technology on the backside of a "video-shadow-theatre" on
Greenland, an "any media nescessary"-performance where visual art,
sound, video, installation, text and theatre blends into a complex
composition.

 From the reviews:

"Beautiful, perilous, peculiar. It is likely you have never seen
anything like it." (Bergens Tidene)

"At times we face an experience that does not deal with the
parameters with which we usually categorise contemporary art.
"Concert for Greenland" produces such moments, when art ceases to be
a catalyst for further critical reflection, and instead turns into an
aesthetic experience in its own right.  Such an experience goes
beyond conceptualization. (....) I will rather consider it a machine
of some kind. Through an insanely complicated, yet naively simple
system of rails, electro-acoustics, sound samples, video projections
and shadow pictures they put the machine in motion. Every picture and
every movement is duplicated and cast around in the machine. The
machine works for around an hour. I don't think I can tell how it
works, I believe this is a work of art that has to be
experienced..." (J. R. Moe: www.kunstkritikk.no)

Artists involved in creating and performing "Concert for Greenland":

Asle Nilsen, Lisbeth J. Bodd, Håkon Lindbäck, Piotr Pajchel, Petter
Steen, Ali Djabbary, Per Flink Basse, Corinne Campos, Øyvind B. Lyse,
Lars Øyno, Morten Pettersen, Bergmund Skaaslien, Christian Blom,
Trond Lossius, Kenneth Kårstad, b.avant.

"Concert for Greenland" will be part of a program consisting of 5
Norwegian performing companies presented by Network for Performing
Arts - Norway. The event is supported by Arts Council Norway and The
Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in cooperation with Norwegian
General Consulate In New York

More info about Verdensteatret and "Concert for Greenland" can be
found at

http://verdensteatret.com