[Microsound-announce] [MODSQUARE] Richard Devine interview, TONS of new album reviews, like Himuro, Room, Luke Vibert, Lackluster...

Modsquare editor at modsquare.com
Mon Aug 15 11:32:28 EDT 2005

Focusing mainly on his recent Sublight release, Cautella, Nate Zuckerman
has managed to elicit seriously intriguing insights into Richard
Devine's approach and process in his recent interview:

RICHARD DEVINE
"I have always strived to create soundscapes that can basically create
pictures for you in the mind, without the aid of any sort of visuals. I
would invite the listener to open their brain up and experience things
and places they have never seen before. It is essentially what I try to
do with every piece I do--create these surreal alien environments where
you are traveling into some horrifying high-tech world."
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=258_0_27_0_M

And we've got lots of reviews up now, just when you were wondering what
you should be checking out:

RICHARD DEVINE: Cautella
Devine delivers a handful of blistering dancefloor tech-thrash leavened
by stretches of ghostly ambience and otherworldly sound-collage.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=257_0_29_0_M

HIMURO: Mild Fantasy Violence
Bleepy, bloopy breakbeat music influenced by Squarepusher and his
ilk--an expertly-composed and controlled album, with clear genre
loyalty.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=256_0_29_0_M

V/A: Intricate Maximals
Every artist on this disc deserves a handshake and a drink for their
fine work.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=255_0_29_0_M

ROOM: Forms Elastic
Deceptively sparse and simple. The melodic parts are few and
understated, a small handful of notes suggesting chords and harmonies
much richer, yet unheard.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=259_0_29_0_M

V/A: The Noise and the City
This ambitious two disc net release takes thirty artists from thirty
cities and lets them compose a track consisting entirely of field
recordings from their particular urban arcadia.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=260_0_29_0_M

LUKE VIBERT: Lover's Acid
Vibert's latest collects 3 of his earlier 12" acid EPs along with a
sprinkling of new material to appease devotees.
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=252_0_29_0_M

And stuff you might have missed:

SUBTRACTIVELAD: Giving Up the Ghost
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=251_0_29_0_M

LACKLUSTER: Showcase
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=250_0_29_0_M

RA: Raoul Loves You
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=249_0_29_0_M

SURROUNDED BY NINJAS: Real Time Modify
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=253_0_29_10_M

CEX: Know Doubt
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=246_0_29_10_M

AUTECHRE: Untitled
http://www.modsquare.com/modsquare_more.php?id=245_0_29_10_M

Enjoy,
Liz

Liz McLean Knight
editor-in-chief
[ ]
music + technology + culture =
MODSQUARE
http://www.modsquare.com

CTRL-N: Latest online MP3 compilation
(http://www.modsquare.com/mdsq003) featuring tracks from Room,
1+0=everything, kataStatik, 2400W, Craque, Area, Time Slips By, Bit
Shifter, Puzzle, Johnny Square.