[JPhonk] Fwd: A different type of performance opportunity at BCM

johnny saylor js0000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:05:06 EDT 2017

hey

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 13:38:13 -0400
Marie Ghitman via JPhonk <jphonk at or8.net> wrote:

> So... what is our mission? (And does playing at fundraisers fit
> into it?)

yeah- what is it?

as far as a band surviving in a capitalist society- working with the children's museum is a good call. let's just leave it at they seem to have access to financial resources.

as far as being an activist band- this is kinda like selling out. the children's museum is not the same thing as exxon or DOD- they are definitely on the more humane end of profitable corporations; making a fun place for kids to play is something that most of us would be willing to support as an idea. but playing for the millionaires at a children's museum fundraiser is a world away from playing in front of the purple cactus for mexican earthquake relief.

as far as being a community band- we would not be in JP, so ... not really.

for myself, i'd remind everyone that money changes everything. we seem to be in a good place now, but that could change in an instant. i guess i'm leaning more toward "no" but would be willing to be convinced otherwise. and i [generally] like playing with jp honk whatever the occasion, so that would help me make the best of it.

in the end, i'd like to suggest we give them the softest "no" possible, so we could remain "on their list" in case of other events that are not so "corporate" [for lack of a better word] ...

but this is only one drummer's opinion. would we need another meeting, or a few minutes at a rehearsal to discuss in greater depth?