[JPhonk] HONK parade info

David Brancazio dbrancazio at comcast.net
Sun Oct 1 20:28:05 EDT 2017

HONK Parade details below!

-dave

From: Charlo Maurer [mailto:charlojmaurer at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:59 PM
Subject: The HONK parade is coming next Sunday!

Greetings 2017 Honk Parade Participants!!

We look forward to seeing you all next weekend at the 12th Honk Festival of Activist Street Bands <http://honkfest.org/> , and especially Sunday, October 8 at the 2015 HONK! Parade, when we will once more Reclaim the Streets for Horns, Bikes, and Feet!!  Your spirited participation, creative genius, and boundless energy make the parade one of the most significant public events in the Boston area. Be sure to let your artistic, colorful, and playful selves loose to help make the parade really fun to watch.

We understand that your group is confirmed to participate in the 2017 Honk Parade. If this is not the case, if you have any questions, or if you have not yet filled out the parade questionnaire (attached), please do so as soon as possible. We need the group descriptions in particular for the announcements.

Here below is information you will need for the parade.

Before the parade:

1. Please arrive with your group, your band, or as individual volunteers at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 9 in our staging area in the parking lots at  <https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=42.386254%2C-71.122227&spn=0.03043%2C0.054932&dg=feature&t=m&msa=0&z=14&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=1qgpXi1BwB9zLyuT6dHAZXyxCjNQ> Herbert and Day Streets in Davis Square, Somerville.  We will have parade marshals there who can tell you exactly where your band or community group should go to set up. See also the parade order below to see where your group will be.

2. The parade starts promptly at 12 noon; please be ready to honk and roll!

During the parade:

1. Here is a link <https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=42.386254%2C-71.122227&spn=0.03043%2C0.054932&dg=feature&t=m&msa=0&z=14&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=zTkDbj6JdP6o.ketkZ4ZXOJhI>  to a map of the parade route, which follows Elm Street to Beech Street, Massachusetts Avenue, Harvard Square.  The route is 1.8 miles long.  We should begin to reach the Harvard Square reviewing stand around 1:00; the end of the parade should arrive by 1:45.

2. We see the HONK! Parade as a processional theater performance for 69 bands and community groups.  Although such a long processional event takes on a life of its own, we ask you to help maintain the unity of the event by trying to keep a consistent distance of about 20 feet between your group and the group directly in front of you.  Through the efforts of our parade marshals, we shall try to keep the parade at a good pace and keep the groups properly distanced.  If a parade marshal asks you and your group to slow down or speed up a bit, please honor their request. Please help us keep the parade close together from Davis Square until we reach Massachusetts Avenue.

3.  Please do not pass out any fliers, marketing material or anything else during the parade.

4. The parade will pass through Harvard Square to Winthrop Park, go through Winthrop Park and finish on Winthrop Street.  Please follow our parade marshals' instructions and proceed with the parade through Harvard Square until you arrive on Winthrop Street, where you can break down and pack up. Please help us avoid congestion in Harvard Square and in Winthrop Park. Here is a link to the schedule of <http://honkfest.org/2017-festival/sunday-in-harvard-square-2017/>  HONK! events at Harvard Square Oktoberfest that will follow the parade.

Thanks to all of you for making the parade such a spell-binding community activist event!  We look forward to seeing you there!

Best wishes and happy HONK! Festival!

Charlo Maurer, Cecily Miller, John Bell and Paul Gregory
for the HONK! Parade Committee

1

Honk Parade Banners and Political Notables (Denise Simmons?; Vice-Mayor of Cambridge?)--JB)

2

Forward! Marching Band

3

Alliance of Cambridge Tenants

4

Damas de Ferro

5

Associacion Carnavalesca de Mass.

6

Caka!ak Thunder

7

Cambridge Friends School

8

Dead Music Capital Band

9

Boston Hoohas

10

Second Line Social Aid and Pleasure Society

11

Boston Hoop Troop

12

Chaotic Noise Marching Corps

13

World Naked Bike Ride

14

Veterans for Peace

15

Leftist Marching Band

16

Tufts United for Immigrant Justice

17

Boston Banda de Paz

18

Mira Coalition

19

Indivisible Somerville

20

Plezi Rara

21

Midwives for Peace and Justice

22

Filthy FemCorps

23

Fast Food/Fight for $15

24

Brass Liberation Orchesra

25

If Not Now

26

Mortal Beasts and Deities

27

Hartford Hot Several

28

Cambridge Wildlife

29

Modern Peasant Brigade

30

Hungry March Band

31

Somerville Media Center

32

Mass Creative

33

What Cheer? Brigade

34

350 Massachusetts for a Better Future

35

Expandable Brass Band

36

Maud Morgan Arts

37

Union United

38

Black Sheep Ensemble

39

Bread & Puppet Theater

40

Bread and Puppet Circus Band

41

Open Air Circus

42

Yes Ma'am Brass Band

43

Massachusetts Teachers Association

44

Somerville High School Band and Drumline*

45

Mass ADAPT

46

Parts and Crafts

47

New Creations

48

Circus Up!

49

J.P. Honk Band

50

Puppeteers Cooperative

51

Dirty Water Brass Band

52

Tufts Students for Justice in Palestine

53

Tufts BEATs

54

Mothers Out Front from Somerville and Cambridge

55

Extraordinary Rendition Band

56

Tibetan Association of Boston