[codecraft] cleaning up code every seventh sprint

Philip Durbin philipdurbin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 07:32:02 EDT 2017

I've been reading "Coders at Work" by Peter Seibel and I found this
exchange with Douglas Crockford interesting:

Seibel: In one of your talks you quoted Exodus 23:10 and 11: "And six years
thou shalt sow thy land, and shalt gather in the fruits thereof: But the
seventh year thou shalt let it rest and lie still" and suggested that every
seventh sprint should be spent cleaning up code. What is the right time
frame for that?

Crockford: Six cycles---whatever the cycle is between when you ship
something. If you're on a monthly delivery cycle then I think every half
year you should skip a cycle and just spend time cleaning the code up.

Seibel: So if you don't clean up every seventh cycle you may be faced with
the choice of whether or not to do a big rewrite.

http://www.recursion.org/2013/1/6/insights-from-coders-at-work