[codecraft] Go Will Dominate the Next Decade | Ian Eyberg | LinkedIn

Michael Bar-Sinai mich.barsinai at me.com
Sat Oct 3 17:12:46 EDT 2015

Jeeeeeez, man. I was actually looking forward to reading this, and finally came to it.
What a load of...

First, the guy is founder of DeferPanic which is, in their own words:

What's DeferPanic
We're on a mission to ensure your success with Go with the right tooling and phenomenal support.

Not the best way to ensure a balanced view. In his defense, he's certainly on a mission.

Then, he completely lost me at:

When I was younger C++ was commonly derided as the language that incompetent C programmers used. Then came Java. Not a big improvement.

Srsly!?!? Java was not a big improvement over C++? First, I'm not sure that it was even supposed to improve C++ at all, but the introduction of a VM, a garbage collector, a full-blown object-oriented system (C++ allows it, but it's not the default, hence the "virtual" keyword), all packaged in a balanced way that's actually accepted by the industry?

That's not saying the Go is not interesting. I assume it is. But it's not the only interesting thing around, and I don't trust this guy's judgment, or data.

And re: the JVM Sith Lord, thats totally style-over-substance, which normally means there's no substance. I've learned that at a student exchange semester at UTME (that's University of Tatooine, Mos Eisley).

-- Michael