[codecraft] Java EE vs. Play

Michael Bar-Sinai mich.barsinai at icloud.com
Sun Nov 22 07:03:48 EST 2015

...And then came the migration to Play 2.4, where the static parts are being deprecated, and everything is getting dynamic and dependency injected, and there were quite a few error screens, and stack traces. Not from hell, though*.

* Just finished porting a Play app to 2.4. Not an easy task, even though I like the DI better than Java EE's. Play! still seems to be better-suited for HTTP interfaces, as it does not try to abstract HTTP away. But it's not a clear-winner-by-KO.
IMHO, the main issue with Play! is the tools - IntelliJ is the only IDE to that supports it at the moment. ScalaIDE has some official support, but since I've installed it the JVM crashes (that is, I get the OSX's crash dialog, not even Eclipse's). There's a NetBeans plug-in on the way (http://nbpleasureplugin.com <http://nbpleasureplugin.com/>).  As IntelliJ is expensive, buggy, eats RAM and CPU and is generally annoying, I currently use Sublime text and the console. The amazing part - I'm still quite productive with this setup.