[codecraft] Classes and Capitals - how come English and OO are opposites?

Michael Bar-Sinai mich.barsinai at icloud.com
Thu Jul 23 14:45:10 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I was reading this book to my 18 month old girl. It tells the tale of a hungry panda, which is given a banana by a monkey, aptly named "Monkey". Animal altruism aside - seems that capitalization conventions in coding are the exact opposite of English:
Java: Monkey monkey ==>  "Monkey" is a class, "monkey" is the instance
English: Monkey is a monkey ==> "Monkey" is the specimen, "monkey" is the species.

Any idea why? Do native speakers find this confusing when they learn coding?

-- Michael