[codecraft] The Language Strangeness Budget

Michael Bar-Sinai mich.barsinai at icloud.com
Thu Jul 23 14:31:14 EDT 2015

Interesting approach. I think there's a "sameness budget" as well - no one will learn a new language if it's just the same as their current one. You can see that in Scala now - people ask "why learn Scala when Java has lambdas". I think there are good reasons to do so, but the mere question shows that Scala was too quiet on the other things it has (case classes, extensive syntax, ....) and was trying to bill itself as "Java with Lambdas".

-- Michael